Early morning Friday we woke up to a coughing, feverish baby. Since the husband and I are both teachers we had our usual "sick kid" conversation. Who was going to call in this time, who could get a sub faster, would we need a full or a half day, what time would the doctor be able to see us...? Finally, husband decided he would get a sub. (I knew that since it was a Friday subs would be hard to find, but we went with his idea.) So husband stayed up until 2:00 am with Baby Girl putting her to sleep, getting his last minute sub instructions ready and I was up off and on just to check and see if they were doing okay.
5:00 am I woke up with the alarm, got ready for work and showed up ready to teach my class. Around 7:20 am I get a message from my husband that he was going to have to leave Baby Girl with his sister because he couldn't get a sub and he needed to go into work. Me being the worrier I am did not want to have my Baby Girl sick all day without seeing a doctor until possibly 5:00 pm, so I logged online, requested a substitute for that day and talked to my principal about leaving early. Luckily a substitute was available and I was able to leave. (This is all the excitement a teacher has to go through just to get a day off to take her kid to the doctor for all you future educators our there. My advice, work for a principal who knows families are important. Anyway...)
I was able to get an appointment at our pediatric clinic at 10:00, so I rushed over there. Three mile and Dove are a lot faster than the expressway, go figure. I have to say that I love McAllen Pediatrics at Renaissance. They are so efficient and friendly, it is MUCH better than the clinic we went to for almost three years with Little Man.
After a finger prick and many other tests, we were prescribed a medication for her nebulizer, antibiotics and a follow up appointment to check on her white blood cell count. At that point all she and I wanted was a nap. I was so tired I didn't even eat lunch. I gave her a bottle, put her to bed and I went to bed too. I woke up after about an hour to discover she had another high fever. With some Tylenol and a bath all crises were averted. The rest of the day was spent lounging in comfortable clothes, watching television and lying in bed.
Several days later Baby Girl is much healthier and in a better mood. Sick days are no fun, and they're even less fun when you have to work on all these logistics just to get things taken care of. Here's hoping she continues to stay healthy, we have a busy Baptism weekend ahead of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment