What baby stuff do you REALLY need? I now know what works for us. I decided to post this, so I'll remember in the future. There are three categories of items. Those we can't live without, those we could live without for now, and those we did NOT need.
Don't really need:
* A travel system - The stroller is too bulky. We drive a hybrid and a civic. We refuse to become SUV or minivan people because we had ONE baby. The stroller just isn't practical. The car seat is nice, if you want the car seat it comes with, make sure you get two bases if you have two cars.
* Bumbo- C hates to sit in it. He will, but would rather sit in our lap or supported by the couch cushions.
* Frilly bassinet - Those are just for looks. They wobble a little too much for my comfort.
Could live without, but it's nice to have:
* Umbrella stroller - These are compact, light, and convenient for mall walks. I would get one with a shade next time. The one we bought didn't have a shade, so I wouldn't use it.
* Boppy - I had all intentions of breast feeding C. It didn't work out that way, so I never really needed it for feeding purposes. He did use it to take naps in when he was tiny. Now he doesn't care for it.
* Bath chair- I like that it's directly in the tub, and very portable. One problem is the baby can get cold pretty easily, so the bath tubs you fill with water keep them a little warmer, longer.
* Changing table - It's nice to have all the diaper stuff organized in one location, and a specific place to change baby. Of course you could always just use a couch, or bed at home. Do get a changing mat for public changing tables.
DO get:
* Convertible car seat- They're more expensive, but you get one car seat from birth to 50-60 lbs. It's totally worth it.
*Jogger or Umbrella stroller with shade - I think the travel system strollers are cute, but that's about it. You could also get one of those strollers that reverses to face you. As for our family, we decided on a jogger.
* Baby bath tub- The whale shaped one has an insert perfect for the first few months.
* Wipes warmer - If you have a boy, or if your baby is born during cold months, get it! C has never peed on me, and he's always loved getting his diaper changed.
* Playard with bassinet- C sleeps in it, and it's a good level from the mattress we have. I can keep my arm in there while I sleep to comfort him if he wakes up.
*Electric breast pump- I didn't breast feed, but I did express milk to feed him for the first four months. (I wish I could have gone for six, but it just didn't work out. Oh, the guilt.) The electric breast pump makes your life so much easier.
* Swaddler - Only way to get him to sleep his first 8 weeks of life.
*Sleep sacks - safer than blankets
* White noise - he still needs white noise to sleep. I'm not sure how long he'll need it, but it blocks out other noises to keep him asleep longer.
*Bouncer - Or as I like to call it, the babysitter.
I'm sure there are other things, but for now that's what I've remembered.
1 comment:
Good list! I totally agree with you on the travel system stroller, we hated it! We went with a jogger as well and have used it for all of our strolling needs.
Kate did like her Bumbo, actually she still pulls it down and sits in it (she gets stuck in it now). But it is something we could have lived without if we had never gotten it.
For the next one (if there is a next one) I'm definitely going to try your bath recommendations and the wipe warmer!
Post a Comment